Monday, April 6, 2009

Blowing Off Steam

I haven't updated in awhile because I haven't had anything nice to say. And you know what our Moms told us about that. But, for the sake of my own sanity, I need to vent a little. For those of you who have somehow stumbled upon this post accidently, my husband works for GM. This is not a pleasant time at GM, but we're riding out the storm and trusting God to provide, whatever may happen to the company.

What I'm tired of, is people (those I know, but also the yapping heads on TV) talking about GM (also Ford and Chrysler, for that matter) as if it were a big faceless blob floating out in space somewhere. Let me assure you that there are actual people who work for the domestic automotive companies. Lots and lots of people. People with families and mortgages. People who spend money and help keep the economy running. People just like you.

For those of you who feel the need to share with GM employees and their family members all about the problems that you or a friend have had with a GM product: Please Keep It To Yourself. We do not need to hear about it right now. It does not help. If you or your spouse were on the verge of unemployment, I certainly wouldn't slap you in the face and tell you that you/he/she deserve it.

Just for fun, let me tell you about my GM products: My Chevy truck is now 12 years old with 148,000 miles on it. I just drove is across the state and back 2 days ago. It runs beautifully and I'm hoping Big K will learn to drive on it. My husband's Oldsmobile is 8 years old with 179,000 miles on it. Also running well, with lots of life left in it. The Chevy car we traded in for it had 245,000 miles on it. We haven't made a car payment in years, and the money we spend for maintenance is minimal. The problem we're having with our cars right now is that we'd really like something with more seating, but we can't justify buying a new car when both of our old ones are running so well and saving us money.

There, I feel a little better. I'll have to do this more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment