Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dog Hunting

I've caved. I'm so tired of having to say "no" to the girls because of all J-Man's crap, that I finally said "yes" to a dog. Not sure yet how this is going to turn out. I can tell you this, I'm not going to get sucked in by another pretty face. I've learned a hard lesson about that, thank you very much.

Since we aren't interested in a purebred puppy, I've been scouring Petfinder for mutt mixes that include a healthy dose of Golden or Labrador Retriever. Some of these dogs are at Humane Societies, but the majority of them are cared for by Rescue Organizations. Now, you would think that these people WANT you to adopt a dog (Isn't that their mission, after all?) but I'm not so sure. You would also think that if I could get Russia to give me a human being, then I could get a small, volunteer-staffed agency to give me a dog. Maybe I could just turn in my homestudy from the adoption? Probably not. I don't think they checked to see if we had a fenced yard.

Just to lay an eyeball on one of these mutts, we're required to undergo a lengthy home study process wherein we reveal all manner of personal information, allow home visits (both pre- and post-placement) and provide several references. Good grief! I just want to have a look at a dog! If a social worker ever came to my door, I could just tell him/her that we managed to pass the inspection of a Canine Rescue Organization. Problem solved.

Let me just say, by way of a disclaimer, that I'm sure not all rescue organizations are quite so...ummmm...enthusiastic?...as a couple we've hit upon. And I do appreciate the work that many of them do to socialize, train and provide vet services to animals in order to make them adoptable. I'm sure we'll eventually find someplace we can work with and we'll end up with a great dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment