Saturday, April 17, 2010

More About Adoption

First:
This is one of the few things I've read in the media about the recent incident that I found to contain accurate information. A quick read. I highly recommend it.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/mom-who-sent-adopted-boy-back-to-russia-vilified-but-some-understand/1088171

Second:
The husband and I took J-man to the Fetal Alcohol Clinic at the University of Michigan today. His attachment therapist joined us free of charge, for which I was grateful. We came away with a tentative diagnosis of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder based mainly on the reports we got at the time of his adoption, as well as some measurements of his facial features. (I was surprised by this, as I've never really thought he looked FAS.)

While the diagnosis is helpful, the behavioral therapist who joined us at the end of the appointment was not. I'm tired of being dismissed by people with a lot of letters after their names because I'm JUST the mom. I'm not sure how they think they got to know my kid better in 10 minutes than I have in 2.5 years, but many of them do. She questioned many of the decisions we've made and services that we've sought out for J-Man and she seemed to think that a behavioral chart with some smiley face stickers would solve all our problems. I was really glad that our attachment therapist was there to back me up. I feel sad for parents of children with attachment disorder who have the misfortune to make this clinic their first stop. A definite thumbs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment