Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Update on the Glasses

So I took J-Man's glasses back to the optical store yesterday. I think the guy, upon catching sight of them, said, "Wow, that's hard to do."

Now keep in mind that when I walked into the store last week to pick out these frames, I asked for the sturdiest ones they had. I did not care about shape or color. (In fact, I had no idea what color they were until I went to pick them up.) I wanted durable. These frames are specifically made for children. They are flexible and can take quite a bit of abuse. Apparently many customers have given them good reviews for durability. But then my son got hold of them.

When the nice man brought the repaired glasses back out, I asked him what exactly would have to happen to cause that kind of damage. He indicated that you would have to bend them in half and then hold them that way for awhile. (Also keep in mind that J-Man had been denying having any knowledge of how the damage had occurred.) He also told me that it usually takes a considerable amount of heat to make these flexible frames maintain a shape change. I think he might have been a little impressed that a kid could do that kind of damage with just his hands. I'm trying not to think about it.

So now we're thinking that we could hire J-Man out to the Consumer Reports Test Lab. I'm pretty sure he could break some stuff that they've never seen broken before. Is it illegal for 7-year-olds to work?

No comments:

Post a Comment